Sunday, September 28, 2008

London on toes...

I made a week's trip to London, during May 2007. Based on that, here is a list suggestions...

Within London
  • Buckingham Palace – Don’t miss the change of guards. Happens as far as I remember twice a day. I think one must be at 11 30 AM and the other in the evening.









  • St Pauls Cathedral – This is just awesome. Make sure you go to the full top. It very very tall..and the view is awesome from above. You can see whole London.













  • Tower Bridge I am sure u will not miss this. Many think the tower bridge is the London Bridge. But this is the bridge with the two towers. And you can go up also and see the working of the tower bridge. It awesome to see. There is one bridge purely for walking. Go in the middle of the bridge and you get the most awesome view of the tower bridge from there. If it is rainy at that time then thank your stars..because..rain just makes it even more beautiful.

  • Tower of London This has the famous Kohinoor. At least for that you need to see it.

  • Big Ben – This is the clock tower. Of course you cant go in. But this is very conspicuous and you cant miss it









  • The London Eye – Go for the ride.

  • Westminster Abbey – One more awesome church. Huge and artistic












  • Westminster The parliament. I actually attended two sessions. One in the House of Commons and one in the House of Lords. This is free and fun to watch. J Also, don’t miss the way the house of commons has a board called Visitors’ Gallery. While the House of Lords calls the same gallery as Strangers’ Gallery. This is a funny thing I cant forget.

  • Shakespear's Globe Theatre – During mornings there is a tour around the theatre. During afternoon and evening there will be plays. Make sure you will go to one play atleast. I could not make it for a Shakespearen Play – Othello. But book alteast 2 days before and you will get a chance to see it.

  • Tate Modern – This is museum near globe theatre is for art lovers. But I was bored of this

  • 21 Baker Street (Sherlock Homes house) – Never ever miss this. This is the Sherlock Holmes house. They have created everything according to how it is in the novel. Make sure u will read the letters to Sherlock holmes from kids all over. Also sign your name in the register. Also, the steward here is just tailor-made for the background. That is why I requested her to sit and took a snap. Just don’t miss this place.










  • WimbledonNever miss this if you are a tennis fan. It awesome. Moreover they have opened the center court for visitors.

  • ChelseaIf you are a football fan, you will enjoy the tour. But if you are not then ditch it.

  • Keningston Palace – This is also good. But you can become tired here.

  • British Museum – You can spend alteast a month seeing this once. So you can easily be bored. But some parts are good.

  • 10 Downing Street – Just for kicks. This was the Tony Blair residence.

  • Hyde Park It’s the best place to relax. There a very nice lake at the center.
Country Side

  • Bath Spa – From what I remember I think this is around 100 kms from London. I went here in a train (left London at 11 30) and came back by train in the evening. You have quite a few places in this place to see. Specially the Roman Bath, an Abbey, a beautiful river side bank with a super aesthetic view of the country houses. There is also an arch of Rich men’s houses.Instead of train, if you go by bus you will be able to see the Stoneheng which is a world heritage site. I could not go there. I was late and had to take the train.










  • The other place I wanted to go but could not is Shakespears birth place and house. I heard its awesome and kept intact. But I could not go.

  • Also for other country side options Oxford is one more super option. But I did not have time.



Apart from these…other things that I did :-)
  • The tube experience – its just awesome. I took a six day tube pass. The tube pass holds good for train as well as buses.

  • Cruise on Thames – One during the day. One during evening. Both were awesome.

  • Window Shop Entire London - Take the bus just to see London city. This is the best part. You will sit on the top of a double decker bus and just go around the city. Generally, I was free during the evenings. Since anyway I had the pass, I used to climb some bus (making sure its double decker) go take a window seat and do a window shopping of whole of London ;-). The city is beautiful during the evenings.

  • River Side Walk - If time permits, during one late evening take a River Side walk. It is just awesome.

  • Platform 9 ¾ - If you are a Potter fan, go to the Harry Potter spot at the Kings Cross Station.

  • For food there was no problem at all, although I am veg. There are hundreds of Indian restaurants.
All in all, this was by far a unique one among all my travels. The reason being, I did it all alone. Having kept all the big luggages in the airport, the whole trip was made on toes...and on a shoestring... ;-) I have also developed a rare fascination for this place and would want to stay here for a longer period of time going ahead...

No comments: